United Disabled Persons of Kenya (UDPK), Nairobi, Kenya
July 17, 2013
- UDPK, a GDRL deployment site, is an umbrella organization for DPOs in Kenya.
- From January 2012 through March 2013, UDPK ran a project to support the implementation of Article 29 of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), which promotes the rights of people with disabilities to participate in public life, including the right to vote and to run for office.
- UDPK identified aspirants with disabilities who intended to run for various national, county, or nominative seats. They provided training on campaign and communication in readiness for general elections. This included a particular emphasis on assisting women with disabilities aspiring to run or be nominated for political office with special training and with linking them to other institutions..
- UDPK examined election-related policies, and met with political parties, to ensure they helped enhance the participation of people with disabilities. They took part in the elections observation process.
- Kenya has at least 12 members of parliament and about 71 members of the various county assemblies in the country who are people with disabilities.